To be a successful sales leader or business owner it is important to set clear goals/expectations and then inspect what you expect! It is a fact…what gets measured gets done!
Here are some proven sales management training tips for setting clear goals/expectations:
- Establish the appropriate key performance indicators (KPIs) for your sales team
- Establish activity levels (meets minimum, target and overachievement)
- Make sure all tasks are clear and understood
- At the beginning of each year, establish individual performance appraisal criteria for your employees. Facilitate pencil reviews mid-year
- Establish a contract with difficult employees to ensure success
- Create smaller and achievable incremental goals that are measured on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis
- Create individual development plans
- Establish an annual review process for your employees
To provide quality developmental coaching for your sales team know the answers to the following eight questions for each team member:
- What are they good at?
- What do they enjoy doing?
- What would they like to do better?
- How can you help them get there?
- What do they want to accomplish this year?
- What are their performance goals?
- What would they like to learn this year?
- What’s the best way for them to learn?
Lastly, here are some best practices for managing remote salespeople:
- Hire the right person…someone who will thrive working remotely
- Onboarding/Training needs to be done at the office, not virtually
- Set crystal clear goals/expectations
- Leverage technology…webinars, conference calls, video conferences, Skype, etc.
- Over communicate…practice “active listening”
- Give and get feedback
- Include the salesperson in sales meetings/training sessions
- Be available…set days/times to talk/check-in
- Foster a team environment…create a “buddy system”
- Celebrate successes along the way